Monday 8 November 2010

The Angus Show

For what seemed like every summer as a child, a high spot in the calendar was a day at the Angus Show. Held in Victoria Park, Arbroath, this was an extravaganza of motorcycle display teams, stunt cars and open-sea simulated helicopter rescues. Top that off with a chance to climb into a tank and this show was a huge adventure. “Vickie” Park was a natural location for such an event. The flat grassed area, normally consisting of football pitches was turned into an arena, where all the action happened. It was flanked on one side by the North Sea, and on the other by a steep hill, which made for a natural grandstand. The ring side seating consisted of hay bales, which made for an uncomfortable though practical close-up view.

It was years before I realised that this was actually an agricultural show. It was always referred to as the “Angus Show” when in fact its full title was the “Angus Agricultural Show”. Perhaps the hay bails, livestock and tractors should have been a hint! In between the high points of the day’s programme was the showing of the animals but of course the various bulls and heifers meant little to a lad growing up in a council housing scheme.

We were always seated on the hill so that we could get a good view. You had to be there early to make sure you got your place as this was a popular event, attended by thousands of people. I must have been about 4 or 5 at the time when I went on a wander and got lost as I couldn’t find where our family was seated. I ended up being found by a police lady and there was a call-out on the public address system. My granddad came and collected me and I was so relieved and excited to see him. I think they were impressed that I was able to give the Police my name address and date of birth at such a young age that I didn’t get into trouble.

The last time I was there was when I took my son to fly a kite I made. Strangely the park seemed much smaller than I remembered it.

Over 150 years old, the show moved its location to Brechin in 1997.

0 comments:

Post a Comment