Friday 21 June 2013

Dundee Shops - Gone But Not Forgotten - David Low

If sporting goods was your thing then David Low in Commercial Street was the place to go. On four floors, this shop had all the football equipment on the ground floor. I remember buying replacement screw in studs for my football boots there regularly.


My first memory of the store though was when its City Centre store was at the corner of Seagate and Gellatly Street. This location came to be most remembered for being the home of Chalmers & Joy the record store but before that it was David Low's small sports shop. I got my very first tangerine Dundee United kit there. Later it moved to Commercial Street for which it was best known but I must have been pretty young when I got my kit from the Gellatly Street shop. I also remember them having another shop on Strathmartine Road near the Derby Street Multis and can remember getting an all-white Leeds United kit there.



This ad is thought to date from 1971. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment