Thursday 2 December 2010

Subbuteo - A Toy I Did Get For Christmas

Wow - Subbuteo World Cup - with real working floodlights! Yes that was my first (and only) Subbuteo set which deviated from the standard set as the game came in the colours of Brazil and England instead of the usual blue and white kits. This was a deluxe set with special items including a miniature replica of the Jules Rimet Trophy. I loved it! According to Peter Upton's tribute website, the set I had (with white floodlights) came out in 1971, when I was 9.



The great thing about Subbuteo was that you could upgrade your set by buying additional items such as corner flags, barriers, crowd figures etc. but most of all you could add additional teams. These came in most colours so you could always find your local team. I remember going down to Brian Sheriff's toy shop in the Cowgate (now Rainbow Music) and being fascinated by the range of Subbuteo items available. The other great thing about Subbuteo was that you could organise competitions with your mates - league tournaments, cup tournaments etc. I used to have fictituous teams too, i.e. Everpool and Liverton!!!



I have no idea how I came about it, but I do remember having a Palermo team, in pink!



There was also a bit of controversy in the 1970s about the low wages being paid to the people who painted them. Often these were women working from home to earn extra money.

0 comments:

Post a Comment