Thursday 26 August 2010

The Opening of The Tay Road Bridge

Amongst the earliest photographs there are of me, are some dating from an "outing" to see the new Tay Road Bridge in the evening. The bridge opened in August 1966 so I was 4 years old. There is the photograph of me all dressed up ready to see the bridge. I suppose it must have been a big event after all the years the "Fifie" (which I don't remember) had crossed the Tay. Looking at the photographs now, I can vaguely remember the evening in question.

We had visitors, a couple who lived in South Shields who my Uncle Jim knew down there. I think the woman (Peggy) was a barmaid where my uncle used to drink. It turns out the couple (Peggy and Sid) were going to Scotland on holiday by car. My uncle had suggested that if they wanted they could "look in" on my grandparents (who I lived with) when they were up here. They did, and ended up staying a fortnight! What hospitality, taking in two people you didn't know and hadn't met and opening up your house to them for two whole weeks. You wouldn't see that happening very often now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment